The Metropolitan Police on Friday confirmed that a rush-hour explosion at a subway station in southwest London is being treated as a terror attack.

Photos taken inside a District Line train show a white plastic bucket inside a supermarket shopping bag. Flames and what appear to be wires can be seen. London ambulance services said they had sent multiple crews to the Parsons Green station. Police advised people to avoid the area in southwest London.

“Our city utterly condemns the hideous individuals who attempt to use terror to harm us and destroy our way of life,” London Mayor Sadiq Khan said in a statement. As London has proven again and again, we will never be intimidated or defeated by terrorism.

Police said counterterrorism investigators were at the Parsons Green subway station in the southwest of the capital and that "a number" of people were injured in what they described as a fire.

"My thoughts are with those injured at Parsons Green and emergency services who are responding bravely to this terrorist incident," tweeted British Prime Minister Theresa May.

Several people appeared to have burn injuries. Police said it's "too early to confirm the cause of the fire, which will be subject to the investigation that is now underway by the Met's Counter Terrorism Command."

The underground operator said services had been halted along the line. The incident injured around 20 people, including a young boy, according to The Sun.

The London Ambulance Service said it was called at 8:20 a.m. local time and dispatched multiple resources to the scene, including a hazardous area response team.

“Our initial priority is to assess the level and nature of injuries,” a statement read. The incident injured around 20 people, including a young boy, according to The Sun.

Richard Aylmer-Hall, 53, who was on the train when the incident occurred, said saw people injured after being trampled.

"There was a woman on the platform who said she had seen a bag, a flash and a bang, so obviously something had gone off,” he said. “Some people got pushed over and trampled on, I saw two women being treated by ambulance crews.”

He added that does not believe anyone was injured by the actual device.

"It was an absolutely packed, rush-hour District Line train from Wimbledon to Edgware Road. I saw crying women, there was lots of shouting and screaming, there was a bit of a crush on the stairs going down to the streets,” he later told Sky News.

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said people should "keep calm and go about their normal lives" following the incident, adding that it would be “wrong to speculate” about the incident.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Original Article


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here