Co-convener of the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) movement Aisha Yesufu has said that the Federal Government has failed to learn lessons from the abduction of the Chibok School girls in 2014 – a situation which she says has resulted in a recurrence of such in Yobe state.
“It’s a sad situation, it’s really heart breaking that we are seeing April 2014 all over again because what is happening right now is exactly the same thing that happened with our Chibok Girls’ abduction and it’s so sad that as a country we didn’t learn anything and right now, we have sketchy information all over the place – exactly what happened in the case of the Chibok girls,” she said.
Yesufu made the comments on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Friday, while addressing the issue.
Over 50 schoolgirls went missing on Monday, from the Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC) located in Dapchi, Headquarters of Bursari Local Government area of the Yobe state.
They were said to have disappeared after gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists invaded the school.
The news comes nearly four years after over 200 girls were abducted in a similar manner, from their school in Chibok, Borno state by the insurgents.
While the Federal Government has been able to secure the release of some of the girls in the passing months, many are still yet to be rescued.
Read Also: Over 50 Schoolgirls Missing After Boko Haram Attack, Yobe Govt Confirms
In the wake of the fresh attack, there are renewed fears that the same might be the fate of the Yobe school girls.
The Bring Back Our Girls group which immediately swung into action over the Chibok girls, with series of protests aimed at mounting pressure on the government to do more in its efforts to rescue them, has yet again urged the government to invest in intelligence gathering and proper investigation of such cases.
Yesufu criticised the state government for disseminating false information regarding the release of the girls; 50 of whom were earlier reported to have been released.
“It’s quite sad and it’s time for the Federal Government, the state and the military to come out with accurate information. What is the value of the Nigerian life if this is allowed to happen again almost four years after.
“It just tells us like I said earlier that nothing was learnt.
“Our focus, as we have said repeatedly, is that the government must invest in Intelligence gathering, it must invest in investigation. So obviously what happened is that there was more interest in bringing out a statement than there was in investigation and actually verifying how many of our girls are missing,” she said.
Speaking further, Yesufu also accused the state government of slow response to the news saying: “The incident happened on the 19th, yesterday was 22nd, immediately it happened, the governor ought to have been there, the President ought to have been there by now too.
When asked if the group is optimistic of the girls’ return, she explained that in the first place it was a ‘hard pill to swallow’ as they were yet to come to terms with the news, especially considering the lingering pain of the Chibok attack.
“Ignorance, they say, sometimes is bliss. When we started the movement four years ago, we didn’t know what it will entail but right now we know what it is. We were looking at the light at the end of the tunnel with some of our rescued Chibok girls, saying that in no time they will come back home and now we have been thrown back into the darkness of where we started from where there was no hope”.
The state and Federal Government have, however, promised to do all they can to bring back the missing school girls.
The post Yobe Attack: FG Has Failed To Learn From Chibok – BBOG appeared first on Channels Television.